Go Daddy

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Contentment?

Are you content with your life? What about with your job? Your spouse? Your house? Your blank?

I work at Starbucks as a batista. To be honest, I barely make above minimum wage and work just part time.

I am happy and content.

In the past, I have worried that people from high school (who I did not like) or others from my past, will bump into me one day and ask, "what are you up to?" Then I will have to bow my head in shame and tell them what I do. They will feel sorry for me because I only make half or a quarter of what they make...

But I have started to realize some profound truths in my current situation:
  • I choose to work at Starbucks. (I turned down a job making a lot more money)
  • Having choices in your life gives you control over you life.  I get to say No.
  • I am happy doing what I'm doing. I enjoy working at Starbucks just as a barista.
  • I am not stressed out and I know that truth directly impacts the time I spend with my family and others.
  • I have time to spend with my family and time to work toward my dreams.
  • I am happy.
  • My family and I have everything we need. Not want... But need. My family is happy, healthy, fed, and thankful for what God has provided.
The above facts are enough for me. I love my life, wife, children, job, faith, and position.

We do not own a flat screen TV, (Not that I would turn one down.) We have a car with part of the bumper missing. Our house is the "scary" looking one on the block, but!!! We're happy.

Because of our lack of attachment to stuff and a lack of feeling that we're entitled to a certain standard of living, we are able to enjoy life. We are able to say no to job opportunities that pay a lot more because we don't need the money. I might not stack up financially to all my friends and acquaintances from the past, but I would not trade my inward contentment for stuff.

I believe that true contentment only comes from God. Once you have that kind of contentment that fills the whole we're all walking around with; everything else is just gravy.

Joy is not based on situational circumstances. It is something greater that you possess regardless of your current situation. Happiness is directly impacted by your feelings and immediate situational position. I have both. Joy + happiness = contentedness.

And because I look for any reason to post a Derek Sivers Video; Here's one that kinda fits with what I'm talking about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment