Go Daddy

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

You're Your Worst Critic. (But you already know that.)

The title pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

I don't really have all that much to add. There is nothing more profound I can say to make you or me believe some of the following simple truths.
  • Your ideas are better than you think. While they don't seem that great to you because you're the one who thought about it; know that they just actually may be really great to someone else.
  • Of course... Not all ideas or expressions of your art/dream are great, though many of them are way better than you give your self credit for. Remember, if you're moved to create, you're a creator, and that is really awesome, beautiful, and special.
  • Know that if you keep everything you have created to your self, that's kind of selfish.
  • Know that many successful artists, musicians, and writers are highly critical of what they produce and often times were tempted to burn that beautiful <blank> that YOU love so much!
  • Low self esteem, perfectionism, or other personality quirks could be holding you back from making you a career out of what you love.
So. I'm not going to tell you not to be your own worst critic because no matter what I say you will still be it. A blog is not going to change that.

But!

What if you admitted it was possible that your <blank> was better than you thought? What if you entertained the idea, that other people might just enjoy what you've created? What if you asked yourself whats the worst that can happen by sharing and striving for my dream? ( No really, ask your self. Come on, do it!)

I'm blogging... Not because I think I have some profound insight others lack or because I think people are hanging on my every word. No, I do it because I need to practice writing in general, learn how to communicate my thoughts in a clear and concise way which, I'm still working on, and get used to having a piece of my creation out there, being viewed by others, and possibly judged or criticized.

While I hope it (writing) will help someone or inspire them, it doesn't have to. While I hope I might stumble upon something that could move my goals forward, it doesn't have to. While I wish it were better...   I do it because I love it and it has meaning to me. That's enough for me, even if I hope for a little more. 

What do you wish you had the courage to share? What, if anything, do you plan to "put out there?"

Here is a video I have posted before by Derek Sivers. It too is worth a view and some thought! Keep in mind this man is a multimillionaire who has impacted other peoples lives because he didn't criticize himself into inaction..

No comments:

Post a Comment