Go Daddy

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Be Yourself

Have you ever tried to be something your not?

As some of you may know, I recently got a part time gig writing blogs for another website. In the details of the job it was stated that they were looking for cocky, funny jerks.

Well, I am not really funny, I guess I can sometimes be a jerk, and I am most certainly not cocky. As a matter of fact, I am against all those things because they are in direct opposition to what I believe.


Why did I take the job? Because I knew I could write a proposal the guy would like.

Here is the issue. What I am writing for this website is not me. I don't like it and as a matter of fact I am ashamed and embarrassed by the things I have written for this website. Not because of the content of the website but because the things I am writing in context to me are a lie.

Ultimately I tried to be someone i'm not

I agreed to write 6 blogs and I will do what I said I would, but won't continue on after that. I compromised the things I believe for money and that feels really crappy. This situation was a mistake but it's something I have learned from.

When I am myself, content flows naturally from me and its easy to write more. When I am not myself it is really hard for me to produce and its really draining. So from this point on I won't look for the jobs I think I can get, I will look for the ones that best line up with who I am. There might be less of those and they may have a lot more competition for them or pay less, but it will be something I can be proud of. When you are yourself doing something you can be proud about it helps propel you along to even greater things. That's why from now on I will be my self.

Have you ever tried to not be yourself to get something? How did that work out for you?

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting. I'm looking forward to reading the funny douchebag blog. Make sure you link it when it's publish.

    ReplyDelete