Go Daddy

Monday, December 19, 2011

Isolation; The great recipe for destruction

The truth is we are all broken. We are flawed and we are most certainly not perfect. 

In our country we value a word that may not actual be good for us. Independence. Is there some virtue in the concept of independence? Yes, of course. But like all good things in this life, things get corrupted, and twisted, and taken to unhealthy levels.

Independence begins to take on a posture of; I can do this by myself. I don't need your help. I don't need anybody. It's me against the whole world! Ultimately, this kind of mind set leads quickly to isolation.

When we are isolated, we are alone... Alone is not a strength, its weakness. When we are alone we can easily be picked off. Can I fight 5 dudes working together even if they are weaker than me? No. But, if I could get one guy alone who is weaker; could I beat him then? Yes!

Now, what is we are not called to independence but, dependance on one another?

No one protester has every brought about change without other people joining the moment. Not one person has defeated an army by themselves.Not one healthy profitable business is done by just one person.

We often forget we are not great at everything. I suck at grammar and punctuation, I need my wife to help me write. I suck at remembering to be kind and generous to the homeless, I need my friend Ron to remind me. I need my friends, family, and community to fill in all my areas of weakness. I am a better man because my dependance on my wife and other awesome people I let speak into my life because I am dependent on them and not independent from them.

Not everyone believe the bible is right about God but, most people would agree their is a lot of great advice and wisdom in it. Well here is a nugget to think on.  Proverb 18:1 "Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgment."

I know I am impulsive and have whims where I want what I want. If I was alone, I would be in a real bad place and that's at my weakest.

Everyone knows the cliche image of one stick being broken by itself but a whole bunch of sticks being unbreakable. It's a cliche for a reason.

Think about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment