Go Daddy

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Big, big, big, is a fairy tale.

So I'm kind of a vision guy. I love the idea of creating something from nothing, of doing things no one else has done. I frequently have these BIG ideas for businesses. I often say to myself, "if I just had the money to get started..."

Then I saw this video by Derek Sivers.
I have sold myself on the idea that if I just had enough money I could make my dream happen. You see, I want the grand vision right now!!! I don't want to wait, I don't want to start small and grow. I have for many years, believed a lie. I have fallen into the trap of being a spoiled brat who won't work on my dreams until I can have it exactly the way I want it. I want to get to the finish line without first going past the starting line.

In his book Quitter, Jon Acuff talks about the difference between two stories. One is the story of David and Goliath and the other is of Cinderella. When we look at Cinderella we see a cute girl who got a bad shake at life.While she had to endure the wicked stepmother and the evil stepsisters, in the end her problems were taken care of with the wave of a magic wand from her fairy guardian.

In the story of David and Goliath, David is anointed as King, and then has to go make his brothers some sandwiches. The only reason David was on the battlefield to begin with was to bring lunch! Now that's a pretty humble beginning. While there was a grand plan, it started small.

I realize now that I don't want to start from humble beginnings. I don't want to have to serve lunch, I want a magical fairy to grant my wish in an instant.

Now that I realize that's what I have been doing with so many things, I say "no more!" I will do the process the way it is meant to be done. Start small with what you have and taking one step at a time.

Do you struggle with this too? Do you try to be big, big, big, when you're small, small, small?

Jon Acuff and Derek Sivers have been huge inspirations for me. I hope you will consider checking out there books through the links below.



Again, I just want to be clear and let you know that while I do make money if you purchase those books, I recommend them because I believe in them and have benefited from them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment